Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Day 48 - Pleasant Surprises

Tonight I decided to drop by to check on the progress of the bricks and it is fair to say that I was pleasantly surprised for many reasons.

On the weekend I was a little concerned that the building was continuing and there were a few issues that I thought might cause bigger issues down the track. After firing off an email to my Customer Service Co-ordinator and not receiving a reply I was getting a little worried. My Site Supervisor (SS) called very late in the day to put my mind at ease.

We're actually very lucky to have the SS that we were allocated. He seems very organised and just seems to know what needs to be done. That said I hope we don't run into more issues down the track that cause us major problems but he seems to have his finger on the pulse.

He assured me that the plumbing that was in the wrong place will be fixed by the plumbers, I wasn't sure about this given they bricked over it, but after inspection today I found that the pipes aren't sticking through and he's right, they can fix it, I'll just be interested to see if the messages get passed on and are processed by the guys doing the work (call me pessimistic).

He also assured me that the frame items will be fixed this week, the rear door glazing will be fixed prior to lockup and the missing window and door will be installed this week.

Driving down the street I was interested to see how much of the brickwork had been completed. I was initially thought they hadn't made much progress because the front hadn't progressed since Monday but one side, and the back were pretty much complete, the garage which was tricky because it is very close to next door was complete and it looks like they have one more side to go and then some remaining work on the front.

The mortar has really lightened up a lot, something that initially it crossed my mind that it appeared a little dark but after a bit of research I found it takes about 3 days to find something close to its colour after drying and then it is about another 4-6 weeks for it to completely dry weather depending. I have to say though it looks good.

I noticed the front door frame has been installed finally and the garage internal door is also installed. After venturing into a very dark uninviting house with fading light of my phone I found the frames issues has mostly been fixed, the ensuite doors had been installed, the bath is installed the rear window is in and I have to say, the double glazing kept the house incredibly quiet. When the door wasn't in and the rear window was missing it was like a wind tunnel and it was very noisy, now it is very quiet, can't wait to see what it's like once we move in.

The shower in the bathroom had also been marked out and there is a few plasterboards onsite also. Over the next few days the brickies should finish up and the electrician should be in.

Next week should ideally be the last week before lock-up is complete. Currently Metricon have lock-up scheduled for next Wednesday.

Probably one of the best sites I've seen apart from seeing the slab and frame flying up and forming what would be our house. As much as it is disappointing to know that we are going to be locked out within the next couple of weeks its exciting to know it's all starting to happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment